I have a lot of clients who put me in charge of their websites. I do stuff like setting up websites, basic troubleshooting and pointing them to the right direction if the issue is bigger than me.
That’s actually the reason I am writing this review. Numerous clients of mine use Inmotion Hosting as their web hosting provider, and they do so happily.
I always liked this company, because we had very few problems with them. Since they have introduced SSDs, it’s been getting even better. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s start at the beginning.
If you are in the market for a reasonably-priced web hosting package which offers a ton of great features, especially for WordPress, then IMH is one that you want to consider. InMotion is a strong brand with a solid reputation, and they have gone out of their way to make customer onboarding easy. Let’s take a look at some quick facts, and then we’ll delve into the details!
Quick Facts About InMotion:
- Start out for as little as $4.89 a month
- Get unlimited email and storage space with all plans
- All plans include unmetered monthly data transfers
- Three plans to choose from
- Flexible coding options
- Managed WordPress hosting available
- Free backups included
Now let’s take a closer look at the plans, features, benefits, and drawbacks!
True Premium Web Hosting
You know you’re doing something right when you’re one of the most awarded businesses in your industry – but InMotion doesn’t let it get to their head too much.
Account Management Panel
Far more interested in making certain that their customers and users experience incredible results and have the easiest time getting and keeping their websites up and running, you would be hard-pressed to find a better solution for budget web hosting than the one offered by InMotion.
What Are They Doing Differently?
Founded in 2001, InMotionhosting.com quickly became one of the industries first real giants. People flocked to the service then for the same reasons that they do now – InMotion always has good technology, support teams, and IT guys that money can buy, all available in two different options at incredibly consumer friendly rates.
When You Need Help
Getting support is quite painless. Here is a short video of the options you have:
InMotion has a convenient onboarding process built into the support center, making it easy to find answers on your own to common questions. You search through the database based on what you are trying to accomplish (the end goal, not just the intermediary task).
This means you are able to get answers that directly address your needs and goals. It’s a very cool and innovative way to structure the information.
Getting Hold of an Actual Agent
What if you need help from an actual agent? Here is where there are a lot of conflicting views. I have seen a lot of outstanding reviews for the phone and live chat as well as the email ticketing system.
But I have also seen a lot of poor reviews stating that it can be hard to get a hold of an agent, especially a manager, and sometimes the answers they give are unhelpful. It seems that depending on who you get you can either have an outstanding experience or a terrible one.
For the sake of this review I opened up live chat. I got connected literally within seconds, and someone called Nick answered.
I asked Nick a simple question. He seemed briefly confused; for whatever reason, it took him about three or four minutes to address my question. But when he did, he provided a complete and to-the-point answer. He didn’t try to hard-sell me on services, which was appreciated. All in all, I got a good impression from the conversation.
I have forgotten to take a screenshot for you all, so I went back and opened live chat again. This time, I was number 16 in the queue.
Amazing? No, but solid enough. With this web host, you shouldn’t face issues often anyway.
My Quick Guide to Features
First let’s take a look at the most basic setup. It’s quite robust for that with features like:
- Business Class Hardware – They don’t go cheap on their servers and tools. In exchange, you get better performance and less downtime.
- Regular Backups – This is where Inmotion is showing care for their customers. Too many hosting companies leave you without a backup solution.
- Max Speed Zone – Your site will be served by multiple Data centers, ensuring high speed by choosing the closest server to your geographic target.
- Green Data Center – It’s not all about business! They also try to care about their environment.
You’ll enjoy close to 100GB of storage in your online locker (usually way more than enough for anyone’s set up), as well as a 1TB data transfer plan. While that sounds like a sweet deal (and believe me – it is!) you can even crank things up a bit higher by leaping into the business plan.
InMotion Plan Features
While features vary from plan to plan, here are features which are included at all levels:
- Free SSD drives. That means you get the utmost in speed, performance, and reliability.
- You get a free domain name. It can either be a brand new domain or a transfer of an existing domain name.
- Free data backups. This is one of the most exciting features of InMotion! Most companies charge for this service, and quite a bit too! With InMotion, you are getting an amazing free bonus. This adds to the value of the packages and justifies some of the higher costs.
- Single-click installation is included for more than 310 applications.
- You can code in a variety of languages including MySQL, Ruby, PHP, and PostgreSQL.
- You can easily integrate Google Apps using a simple three-step wizard.
- You get secure IMAP email which you can access using any device.
I know people have different skill levels in web hosting. That’s why simple solutions are essential for any web host. Inmotion delivers just that!
You’ll find it a cinch to navigate through the website builder and get started. You begin by picking which type of site you want to create (a blog, a photo gallery, or a general-purpose website), and then you pick your themes and colors to establish the look and feel of the site.
Next, you choose which pages you want to include. If at this point you want to start implementing eCommerce features, you can. You can also start adding scripts and modules to your pages. Remember, if you prefer, you can integrate with WordPress and use that as your site builder.
Premium Site Builder
One drawback in this area is the fact that the site templates look outdated. Your website will look older than it is, and you may not be happy with that. So while InMotion gets high points for ease-of-use, the templates themselves could use an upgrade.
Flexible Plans and Pricing
There are four main types of web hosting offered by InMotion:
- Shared business hosting
- VPS hosting
- Dedicated hosting
- Reseller hosting
- Managed hosting
In case you need a quick primer, shared hosting is your basic, low-budget option in which you share a server with other websites. Dedicated hosting is where you rent a physical server and have it all to yourself.
VPS hosting is an in-between option where you are sharing a physical server, but you have your virtual operating system, allowing you the same functionality as dedicated hosting.
Reseller hosting allows you to use your allotted space to host third-party websites for a profit. Managed hosting is what you want if you are looking for professional assistance maintaining your site.
For each type of hosting, there are different plans available.
Shared Business Hosting
- Launch: $7.99 per month.Depending on when you visit their website, you can grab an occasional deal under $4. That’s if you are lucky. Usually, after the trial period, the monthly price jumps back to the usual rate.
If these prices seem high, consider that they are long-term prices. The introductory offers tend to be slightly more expensive than comparable introductory rates offered by other hosts, but the long-term prices are right in line.
- VPS-1000S: $29.99 per month.
- VPS-2000S: $49.99 per month.
- VPS-3000S: $74.99 per month.
Plans start off more expensive than some you may see offered by other hosting companies, but this is because they include more. The lowest-cost plan includes 4 GB of RAM and 60 GB of storage, along with two TB of bandwidth and two IP addresses. The highest-cost plan includes eight GB of RAM and 200 GB of storage, along with four TB of bandwidth and three IP addresses. Interestingly enough, the top-tier plan is a better value than comparable plans I have seen offered by other hosts at a higher price.
- Essential: $189.99 per month
- Advanced: $219.99 per month
- Elite: $299.99 per month
These plans are suitable if you are running a large commercial enterprise online and you absolutely need your own server. They are obviously quite expensive but in line with industry standards. Look for hefty discounts on these plans; InMotion often will take $50 or more off on your monthly introductory rate.
- R-1000S: $27.99 per month
- R-2000S: $39.99 per month
- R-3000S: $54.99 per month
Plans start at 80 GB and run as high as 160 GB. You get a free dedicated IP address with all of them. The R-1000S plan includes 800 GB/month of bandwidth, and the R-3000S gives you 1,600 GB/month.
WordPress hosting is a big deal at InMotion. In fact, it’s probably the single thing that the company is best known for. There are three different plans for WordPress hosting:
- Launch: Starting at $4.89 monthly
- Power: Starting at $6.29 monthly
- Pro: Starting at $10.49 monthly
These are introductory prices, but the cost only goes up a few dollars per month on each of them after the introductory offer expires. All told, these are very low prices for the sheer abundance of features you end up getting, not to mention great expert support from a team that knows WP inside and out.
I Went for the Business Plan
The InMotion business plan offers unlimited everything – unlimited domains, unlimited databases, unlimited data and disc space as well as bandwidth – all for the incredibly low price of right around $7 a month.
Seriously – $7 is affordable for just about every serious business owner in the world, and if you’re looking for a powerhouse of web hosting without incurring a too high price tag, then InMotion is the company that you need to spend the majority of your time researching.
Inmotion Hosting Review > The Major Shopping Carts
The major shopping cart solutions I have seen in Fantastico are Prestashop, Magento, and Opencart. All can be set up with a couple of clicks.
InMotion has a lot of built-in eCommerce features. With the Premium Web Builder, you can add an eShop page to your website, converting it into an online store where visitors can make purchases.
Setting up the store is fast and easy, and functionality, on the whole, is great. One issue, however, is that you only have a few options for collecting payments.
For that reason, you might want to download a plugin to upgrade your shop. That way you can take in payments through more methods and also benefit from better tracking.
Have a Secure Site
InMotion offers many useful security features, including a free Sucuri Security plugin for WordPress sites. This program can scan for adware, protecting your blog and keeping it safe for you and your visitors.
You can also sign up for McAfee for your email account for a nominal fee ($1.39 per month).
You have the option of buying SSL certificates if you need them; these come with a dedicated IP address. And so long as your account is less than 10 GB, you get to take advantage of those free remote backups mentioned earlier.
Perfect for Personal Websites as Well
But InMotion is not just a hit with the businessmen and businesswomen of the world – oh no, no. InMotion is favored by web techs and web professionals because of its level of flexibility compared to its incredible low rate.
I speak from experience when I say few companies offer the level of service and professionalism that InMotion does, and as such, it becomes almost a no-brainer for anyone looking to build their next website to make sure it’s hosted on InMotion.
Our Research: Uptime Statistics
One of the most important metrics when you are looking at a web host is the uptime. We have put a site that’s on Inmotion’s servers into Uptime Robot for 30 days. Here are the results:
Inmotion Hosting had a 100%% uptime for the 30 days we monitored the site. That doesn’t need much explanation.
One of My Favorites
People around the world have been experiencing the incredible power of one of the world’s best web hosting platforms, and I can fully attest to the fact that InMotion is one of my favorite web hosting companies.
InMotion stands by its services with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are purchasing a VPS, dedicated or reseller hosting package on a month-to-month basis, you can get a refund within your first 30 days.
If you are buying a shared business hosting plan, VPS plan, or reseller package with a six month or longer term, then you get a 90-day full refund guarantee. Ninety days is a nice long time for a refund guarantee, so that gives you plenty of time to test out the service at no risk.
Who is InMotion Best For?
- Ideal for owners of private websites as well as commercial enterprises, large or small
- A perfect choice if you are running a WordPress blog and want features and service tailored especially to your needs
- Good for getting started with a simple online shop
Pros of Inmotion Hosting:
- Lots of different types of hosting are available, with various tiers of service for each. Whatever your budget, you will find something that fits your needs.
- Free backups, unmetered data transfers, and unlimited email and storage are all impressive features.
- Code options are flexible.
- The WordPress Hosting options are outstanding, some of the best you are going to find anywhere.
- The onboarding process for customers is exceptional, with information well-organized in the support center for easy discovery. A simple, streamlined, easy-to-use site builder makes it a breeze to get started.
- Customer service received mixed reviews, but my experience was a pleasant one.
Cons of Inmotion Hosting:
- The highest level of service is only available at the Pro level, which may explain some of the mixed reviews for customer service.
- The website builder works well, but the themes look outmoded.
- You have to buy at least a year at a time. If you want the lowest price, you need to purchase two years at a time.
They are on the Rise
InMotion is not a perfect choice for hosting, but no host is. Every hosting company will have a few drawbacks—or more. The fact that there only are a few with InMotion is fantastic.
The out-of-date templates in the web designer are no big deal since you can just use WordPress (or deal with the templates). And buying a year of hosting at a time is not so bad since there is a refund guarantee if you are unhappy for whatever reason.
As for advantages, InMotion has a lot going for it. It is an affordable way to host your site, there is plenty of flexibility in the plans, and the outstanding ease-of-use is a major plus. The free features are excellent, especially the backups.
As for customer service, I had a positive experience, and many other users have as well. So even with its minor drawbacks, I can highly recommend this hosting company, especially to WordPress bloggers!
With a perfect blend of low price and incredible innovation and technology, InMotion has been rising in the ranks of professional web hosting solutions for years. At the time of writing this review, they are running an awesome limited time offer!
If you are looking to get the best bang for your buck with your next web development project, it would be impossible to go wrong with a service like InMotion’s web hosting plans.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Inmotion Hosting, and I get a commission when you click a link and purchase hosting. That’s how I maintain this website. It doesn’t cost you anything. In fact, I can guarantee you get the best price when you are using my links.